Cherry season has started!
In case you missed it: it is cherry season here and boy do I love those beautiful shiny red fruits. In fact I cannot resist them at all. I have to have them when I’m at a market or a supermarket and I see them. But since I am trying to lose weight I have to think of creative ways to use these cherries. My natural instinct (is there such a thing when it comes to food I wonder?) is to bake with them or make sweet and delicious stuff. But those also tend to contain sugar or an equivalent of sugar, so off limits at the moment.
Technically I know that cherries are still sweet and therefore risky if you’re trying to get of the sugar but well, like I said: I couldn’t resist.
So instead of baking I made this delicious salad with spelt and cherries. I have once before made a salad with cherries which I will share with you later. But this one was delicious too. The sweetness of the cherries and the oranges goes oddly well with the asparagus.
Yes I know asparagus season is over but you can always get the green ones and truth be told: I do prefer those above the white ones. Just better in general I think.
Want to have something else with cherries? Try this delicious cake!Print
Summer spelt salad with cherries
- Yield: 2 people
- Category: Salads
- 125 gram spelt
- 150 gram cherries stones removed
- 2 oranges
- 150 gram asparagus, tips, cut into smaller pieces if needed
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbso pomegranate vinegar
- Cook the spelt according to package instructions, drain and leave to cool.
- Peel the oranges very thickly so you remove both peel plus the white membranes. Cut into slices.
- Cook the asparagus tips for about 5 minutes in a bit of salted water, drain and cool.
- Mix cherries, spelt, oranges and asparagus together.
- Make the dressing by combining the ingredients and mix with the salad
If you cannot find pomegranate vinegar use another fruit based sweet vinegar